Monday, February 15, 2010

Assignment #3: Sharing is Caring :o)

Ok I think many will benefit from what I’m about to say. This past week I researched a non-profit organization called “Creative Commons. “ A group of people made up of a MIT computer science professor, a film documenter, Cyb and property law experts, a journalist, and a Japanese entrepreneur. This group of individuals formed a union to protect people’s creativity from being misused and abused. Their website allows people to legally share their creative projects with others without the strict laws and guidelines of copyrighting. So instead of “all rights reserved” to “some rights reserved.” (Their quote, not mine. lol) Copyright laws restrict anyone from using another person work without permission, hence forth the phase “all rights reserved.” Their website offers a way for individuals to allow others to use their creations according to their guidelines, without having to ask for permission or being taken to court. After viewing their website I realized many known companies share their work with creative commons; Google, Nine Inch Nails, Wikipedia, even the Obama Administration. Wow!
Nowadays it’s so easy to violate copyright laws on the web. We see a photo or video we like and post it on our facebook, blog, class assignment, or video; never considering the copyright laws and we put ourselves at risk of being sued. To further understand Creative Commons check out their video:



Now at first I was a little cynical, I thought who would want to share their creation with other people. What if others abuse the original idea, or use it for evil, what if….
Then I remembered a couple of incidents I came across this past summer. I interned at a privately-owned marketing and public relations firm, I participated in many projects and did some on my own. Me and one other guy worked on a couple of videos together promoting our clients and their businesses, unfortunately our boss couldn't use any of the videos because we had music playing in the back ground of well-known artist, and due to copyright laws we couldn't expose it to the public. Only if we knew about Creative Commons prior to the situation, my work could’ve been on television or something. Once I consider that I realized how useful it could be. Besides I find it very thoughtful of others to share their work. We live in such a self-absorbed society, where people are not willing to do something for nothing. It’s nice to know there are people out here willing to help others express themselves without expecting something in return. Isn’t that what life is all about, helping one another? Call me crazy.

Once I was able to identify the situation as a positive contribution to a creative society I was all for it. Creative Common tries to create and maintain a cultural society within this crazy world. Sharing our ideas and allowing others to use them for their own personal expression is a great way to build a better and friendlier community. Let’s share our LOVE…go forth and prosper people. TO INFINITY AND BEYOOOOOND!!!!!!!!!!!!



Source:
Video provided by YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DKm96Ftfko

T-shirt photo provided by Creative Commons/ FlickrImage.com
By: Wesley Fryers Photostream
http://search.creativecommons.org/#


Holding Hands Statue photo provided by Creative Commons/ FlickrImage.comBy:hoyasmeg photostream
http://search.creativecommons.org/#


8 comments:

  1. I like how you integrated your experience of video work + copyrighted music into this blog post. Yes, Creative Commons could have definitely impacted the prospects of your video being aired! I believe that sharing copyrighted material, whether it's slightly restrictive or not at all, will help provide more educational media online for people to use and be inspired from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where knowing about Creative Commons before your "situation" would have helped you greatly. What a great learning experience that was and this is for you. You will do it again only next time it will be better. I can't put a number on how many times I have probably violated copyright law. Now I have the tools to prevent me from doing it ever again. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the CC video!! Good job. Would have really liked to have seen a discussion about artists like Josh Woodward and how tools like Jamendo would have helped you with your video. CC is great both for the creator and the person they are sharing with (the "re-creator"). Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's neat how you put a positive spin on the Creative Commons idea...and how the video helped to reinforce your point. When you put it THAT way, I guess it is pretty good to see people help eachother out in terms of inspiring creativity within eachother.
    Your real-life example was very appropriate to our topic...kind of wish you didn't have to do such hard work with such unsatisfying results--but it's at least now you have a site for background music that won't cause as much problems. Keep up the great work on your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "fter viewing their website I realized many known companies share their work with creative commons; Google, Nine Inch Nails, Wikipedia, even the Obama Administration."

    I was also really surprised by this. Not only did I not know what Creative Commons was, but I didn't know how many familiar companies use it. Also, good use of videos and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your blog!! You gave an excellent real life example that we can all learn from. Creative Commons is pretty awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog post! I like the real life example that you gave. Knowing about creative commons and how it works can be very beneficial when used. I also like the video that you incorporated. Good job Cierra!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never got a chance to say Thanx for the comments guys :o)

    ReplyDelete